Moving your family is a time consuming and difficult job if not done properly. Kids are an integral part of any family and their expectations are different from adults. Involving kids in the moving mix can make your moving day chaotic. Here are some tips that can keep your kids as well as adults of your family happy and calm, and result in a smoother move for all.
- Plan Ahead: Get the older kids involved early and allow them input. Make sure younger children get plenty of rest the night before. It could be a long day.
- Let Kids Pack Their Boxes: Provide your kids with stickers, labels & markers and let them decorate their boxes with their own creative ideas. Just ensure that names on boxes are legible. Make sure that all their favorite things are included, such as toys, bed sheets etc. Other stuff that your kids don’t want to miss in their new space may include:
- Favorite bed time books
- Favorite toys
- Favorite snacks etc.
- Assign Each Child A Job: Make them a part of their packing team and assign some simple job that is age-appropriate to help them stay busy and focused. Assign them some important job that will make them feel good. Assign them some small jobs like taking care of family pet, handing over water bottles to your Texas residential movers etc will keep their minds busy and feel good and comfortable at their new place.
- Put Them In charge of the Checklist: If your kids can read and understand well, hand over to them compiled checklists of all the items that need to be moved to the new place. Instruct them to check every room, nook and corner to ensure that all the items have been packed.
- Plan a Surprise for kids: Plan a surprise for your kids. Unpack any of their favorite stuffed animal or toy in their room. Plan something special for them that will make them feel special and more at home.
- Plan Your Moving Day Kit: With kids on board, you need to take special care of their daily needs. Keep their favorite snacks packed along with a first aid kit for any contingencies. For older kids, give them greater responsibilities. For toddlers, it is advisable to take an insulated bag with you for your baby’s food essentials like milk, water, baby food etc. Keep some toilet paper, tissue paper and other cleaning supplies etc ready in various places, such as in the car, or even at the new place.
- Have Fun: Do an initial research of the new location. Look out for new restaurants or healthy fast-food places, fun-park or nearby ice cream parlor. Give yourself a break from the home or apartment moving stress and spend some special time with your family.