Moving Checklist – AB Moving & Storage
Moving in or out of Austin, Dallas, Houston, Fort Worth, Plano, San Antonio, or any other major Texas city – AB Moving is here to help! Our Austin full-service movers have helped hundreds of individuals, families, and businesses relocate to new homes or offices. We are qualified and experienced at providing the very best in apartment moving, house moving, and commercial moving services.
If you are looking for a reliable and professional home mover, apartment mover, or office relocation company, choose AB Moving & Storage. Let our expert Austin full-service movers handle all your packing and moving needs. Whether you are moving into a new residence or relocating your business, we strive to give you a stress-free and pleasant moving experience from start to finish.
To prepare for your move with AB Moving – check out our recommended moving checklist.
Six Weeks Before Moving:
- Notify all magazines and subscriptions of change of address
- Check with veterinarian for pet records and immunizations.
- Contact utility companies for refunds of deposits and set turn-off dates.
- Dry clean clothes to be moved, and pack them in protective wrappers.
- Collect everything you have loaned out and return everything you have borrowed.
- Service power mowers, boats, snowmobiles, etc., that are to be moved and drain all gas and oil to prevent fire in moving van.
- Check with doctors and dentists for all family records and prescriptions.
- Get children’s school records.
- Check freezer and plan use of food over next two to three weeks.
- Remove all jewelry and other valuables to a safe deposit box or other safe places to prevent loss during the move.
- Give away or arrange for transportation of houseplants (most moving companies will not move plants, especially in winter) – Plants can also be sold at garage sales, or are perfect gifts for neighbors.
One-Two Weeks Before Moving:
- Transfer or close checking and savings accounts. Arrange for cashier’s check or money order to pay moving company upon arrival at new residence.
- Have automobile serviced if driving long distance
- Fill out Post Office change of address forms, give to postmaster
- Check and make an inventory of all furniture and other large items. Specially label items going to your storage unit.
- Dispose of all combustibles and spray cans (spray cans can explode or burn – don’t pack them).
- Pack a separate carton of cleaning utensils and tools (screwdriver, hammer, etc.). Make this a part of your moving kit.
- Separate cartons and luggage you need for personal family travel.
- Mark all boxes that you pack with the room they will be going to at your new residence.
- Organize at least one room in the house for packers and movers to work freely.
- Cancel all newspapers, garden service, etc.
- Review the entire list to make list to make certain that you haven’t overlooked anything.
- Check and double-check everything you have done before it’s too late.
- Plan to spend the entire day at the house. Last-minute decisions must be made by you – and don’t leave until after everything’s loaded
- Hire a babysitter or send the children to a friend’s house for the day.
- Verify your inventory while loading is underway.
- Tell everyone about fragile or precious items.
- Make a final check-off for the entire house, basement, closets, shelves, attic, garage, and other rooms.
- Keep your inventory records with you to help with unpacking and to clearly identify what’s still in storage.
Want to learn more about our full range of moving, packing, and storage services? Are you ready to schedule a move with our Austin full-service movers? Give us a call or click here to get your FREE MOVING ESTIMATE, with absolutely no obligation.