AB Moving - Moving Checklist
AB Moving has helped hundreds of individuals, families and businesses looking for a home mover, apartment mover or business moving company that is experienced, reliable and professional.
After you have explored our web site, give us a call or click here to get your FREE MOVING ESTIMATE, with absolutely no obligation.
Six Weeks Before Moving:
- Make an inventory of everything to be moved. Photos are a good idea
- Collect everything not to be moved for garage sale or charity.
- Contact charity for date and time of pickup - save receipts for tax records
- Contact a quality self storage project near your destination to reserve a unit
- Put together a moving kit with markers, labels, change of address forms, etc.
- Get cartons and packing material to start packing now
- Contract with a local mover to load your heaviest items
- Be sure to identify each box. Specially label those are are going to your storage unit
- Contact insurance agent to transfer or cancel coverage
- Check with employer to find out what moving expenses they will pay
Four Weeks Before Moving:
- Notify all magazines of change of address
- Check with veterinarian for pet records and immunizations
- Contact utility companies for refunds of deposits, set turn off dates
- Dry clean clothes to be moved, pack in protective wrappers
- Collect everything you have loaned out, return everything you have borrowed
- Service power mowers, boats, snowmobiles, etc., that are to be moved -drain all gas and oil to prevent fire in moving van
- Check with doctors and dentist for all family record and prescriptions
- Get children's school records
- Check freezer and plan use of food over next two to three weeks
- Remove all jewelry and other valuables to a safe deposit box or other safe place to prevent loss during move
- Give away or arrange for transportation of houseplants (most moving companies will not move plants, especially in winter) - Plants can also be sold at garage sales, or are perfect gifts for neighbors
One Week Before Moving:
- Transfer or close checking and savings accounts. Arrange for cashier's check or money order to pay moving company upon arrival at new residence
- Have automobile serviced if driving long distance
- Fill out Post Office change of address forms, give to postmaster
- Check an make inventory of all furniture and other large items. Specially label items going to your storage unit
- Dispose of all combustible and spray cans (spray cans can explode or burn - Don't pack them)
- Pack a separate carton of cleaning utensils and tools (screwdriver, hammer, etc.). Make this a part of your moving kit.
- Separate cartons and luggage you need for personal family travel
- Mark all boxes that you pack with the room they will be going to at your new residence
- Organize at least one room in the house for packers and movers to work freely
- Cancel all newspapers, garden service, etc.
- Review the entire list to make list to make certain that you haven't overlooked anything
- Check and double check everything you have done before it's to late
- Plan to spend the entire day at the house. Last minute decisions must be made by you - Don't leave until after everything's loaded
- Hire a baby-sitter or send the children to a friend's house for the day
- Verify your inventory while loading is underway
- Tell everyone about fragile or precious items
- Make a final check off for the entire house, basement, closets, shelves, attic, garage and other rooms
- Keep your inventory records with you to help with unpacking and to clearly identify what's still in storage
More Excellent Services for
Homeowners and Apartment Residents